Life, Pensions & Mortgage Business Apprentice
Established in 1995, Robertson Low is an insurance broker for today’s challenging environment, advising our clients on insurance for their businesses and personal lives for traditional and emerging risks. Our Head Office in Dublin and we have offices in London and Portlaoise. We place great emphasis on trust and our professional approach in securing peace of mind for our clients and their long-term security.
About the Apprentice programme
We are looking for an ambitious and dedicated individual who show the potential to develop into a high performing business professional. This opportunity is a three-year fixed term contract apprentice scheme that provides exposure to all aspects of our business, allowing you to develop your technical expertise as well as professional skills.
While on the programme, in addition to gaining on the job insurance experience, you will complete the insurance industry professional qualifications APA and QFA as well as a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Insurance Practice (Apprenticeship) which is Level 8 on the NFQ awarded by IT Sligo.
We will work with you to enable you to reach your development goals and aspirations for your career with us. In return, we expect you to bring the commitment and drive to add significant value to the company.
The role will involve all aspects of Life, Pensions and Mortgage Business, including working with our existing team to achieve new and existing business goals. Some of the duties that will be involved, under supervision, are:
- Gather information from your clients, assessing their insurance needs and risk profile;
- Research insurance companies' policies and negotiate with underwriters to find the most suitable insurance for your clients at the best price;
- Ensure that your clients understand the terms and the extent of the cover provided in line with industry regulations;
- Foresee your clients' insurance needs, such as policy renewals or amendments;
- Advise your clients on whether and when they need to make a claim on their policies;
- Arrange specialised types of insurance cover in complex cases; this may involve preparing reports for insurance underwriters and surveyors and negotiating with insurers;
- Advise your clients on risk management and help to devise new ways to mitigate risks, for example, by adding security measures such as fencing, surveillance cameras or lighting to commercial properties to reduce the likelihood of a break-in;
- Build and maintain ongoing relationships with your clients;
- Keep detailed records and complete administrative tasks such as paperwork and correspondence;
- Keep up with changes in the insurance market and in your clients' industries;
- Contributing to a positive culture of teamwork, flexibility, learning and development
- Day to day management of policyholder’s requests regarding their policies
- Deal effectively with referrals, escalations and complaints where appropriate including upward referral to relevant team leader
- As a trainee, be flexible within the role to undertake other duties as assigned by your Team Manager to develop your skill set.
Minimum Entry Level Requirements:
We are looking for an ambitious and talented individual who can commit to a 3-year contract of apprenticeship and who is self-motivated with the discipline required to study at a BA (Hons) level and work at the same time. The following are the entry criteria:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Mature students – if over 23 years there are no minimum educational requirements - documented interview required
- FETAC Level 5 qualification holders*
- Between 18 and under 23 years – Leaving certificate, minimum of 140 points to include two honours in higher level paper and passes in Maths and English/Irish with specific requirements on grades/levels*
- *More information can be viewed on the III website https://www.earnandlearn.ie/
Interested applicants should ask themselves the following key questions before applying:
- Do I meet the minimum entry level requirements?
- Can I commit to a three year contract of apprenticeship?
- Do I have the self-motivation and time management skills to study at a BA (Hons) level and work at the same time?
- Can I be diligent and committed to all aspects of work, training and education?
- Do I have the ability to communicate effectively both with customers and in a team?
- Can I take ownership and accountability for my own actions and responsibilities?
- Can I contribute €600 annually for three years (reduced student registration charge)?
Application Process and Time frames:
- Application via email with ‘Apprenticeship Application’ as subject with CV to: email@example.com
- Application submission please submit by: 20th June 2019.
- Planned start date (indicate a range): June 2019.