Established in 1979, Alan Tierney & Partners Ltd is a commercial insurance brokerage and financial advisory firm. We’re proud to say we were shortlisted in the category of Best Dublin Broker in the 2015 and 2017 IBA Awards for life insurance, investments and pensions.
Our experienced and qualified staff provide impartial and independent general insurance and financial planning services to a diverse client base including large corporates, SME’s, individuals and not for profit organisations. Our longevity and continuing success to date is based on our ability to build long term partnerships between ourselves, our clients and the service providers we engage with. Our clients are at the forefront of everything we do and this approach has seen us thrive and grow for over 35 years.
We are authorised to place business with a wide range of domestic insurers as well as having strong relationships within the London/Lloyds based markets. We also are the official insurance broker to the Licensed Vintners Association (www.lva.ie) for over 20 years and have an exclusive insurance facility available to the licensed trade through Allianz Insurance.
About the Apprentice programme
The Apprenticeship in Insurance Practice is a 3 year programme run in conjunction with the Insurance Institute of Ireland and IT Sligo, leading to a BA (Hons) in Insurance Practice. It is an “earn and learn” degree programme, combining on-the-job training with academic study.
The Apprentice will work full time in our Dublin city centre office, gaining an insight into the role of an insurance broker with one day a week engaged in formal learning and academic study, through distance learning modules.
Throughout the programme, the Apprentice will have an assigned Supervisor and Mentor to support their progress and assist in reaching their development and career goals.
About the role
We have a vacancy in our Personal Lines Department. We are looking for an ambitious and talented individual who shows the potential to develop into a high performing business professional.
The purpose of the role is to acquire the necessary skills, knowledge and capability over the course of three years (following a probationary period), enabling the individual to become a CIP qualified, experienced Insurance Practitioner equipped with a Level 8 honours degree. The aim of this programme is to provide a long term career option for the successful individual giving them the practical experience needed to work in all areas of the Brokerage.
- Flexible with an ability to adapt to the changing conditions
- Extremely well organised with excellent time management skills
- Ability to work on own initiative and work under pressure in a busy environment
- Teamwork essential and the ability to cross over multi-teams with ease
- Business literacy and numeracy; report writing, email writing, use of spreadsheets
- Acquire new skills in each area relevant to your success in the position
- Assist the relevant team with the processing of documentation within their areas
- Follow good practice in ensuring the client’s best interests are served when dealing with clients
- Learn the key aspects of the Consumer Protection Code and Central Bank Compliance requirements
- Acquire knowledge on Insurer panels and learn about maintaining key relationships with them
- Learn about the relevant product offerings within each area
- Develop relevant IT skills on the systems used in-house
- Attend the online courses as required and various education days in Dublin or Sligo.
- Study to ensure the best chance of success for the educational programme.
- Adhere to the Company’s compliance as outlined in staff handbook and procedures manual
- Adhere to health & safety policy
- Effective diary management
Minimum Entry Level Requirements
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Mature students – if over 23 years there are no minimum educational requirements - documented interview required
- FETAC Level 5 qualification holders*
- Between 18 and under 23 years – Leaving certificate, minimum of 140 points to include two honours in higher level paper and passes in Maths and English/Irish with specific requirements on grades/levels*
- *More information can be viewed on the III website https://www.earnandlearn.ie/
Interested applicants should ask themselves the following key questions before applying
- Do I meet the minimum entry level requirements?
- Can I commit to a three year contract of apprenticeship?
- Do I have the self-motivation and time management skills to study at a BA (Hons) level and work at the same time?
- Can I be diligent and committed to all aspects of work, training and education?
- Do I have the ability to communicate effectively both with customers and in a team?
- Can I take ownership and accountability for my own actions and responsibilities?
Application process and time frames
- Application submission with CV to: email@example.com