The American International Group (AIG) serves commercial, institutional, and individual customers in more than 130 countries through one of the most extensive worldwide property-casualty networks of any insurer. AIG employees have the unique opportunity to accelerate their career across the multiple business lines, functions, and regions in which we operate. Strong work ethic, motivation, and talent will ensure your success at AIG, as we provide exceptional opportunities for growth throughout our global business.
About the Apprentice programme
Joining the AIG Apprentice Programme is a great way to enhance your business acumen and gain insight into a large corporation, as well as learn more about the insurance industry. Placement students are placed into substantive roles that have an immediate and integral impact on the business. You’ll specialise in one of the core industry areas – underwriting, claims or direct client advice.
The Apprenticeship in Insurance Practice is a programme that runs over three years, which on successful completion, will result in the apprentice receiving a BA honours degree (level 8) in Insurance Practice awarded through IT Sligo, the education provider for the programme. The Apprenticeship programme is based on an 'earn and learn' model and the cost of the course is fully funded by the Government while the employer covers the cost of the salary of the apprentice. This means that the apprentices will work full-time in a role in Dublin with one day a week on average set aside for formal learning, through a distance learning module. This role will be a three year fixed term contract.
When you join AIG, you will receive a tailored induction and will be assigned a business supervisor and mentor to provide support throughout the scheme.
We will work with you to enable you to reach your development goals and aspirations for your career at AIG. In return, we expect you to bring the commitment and drive to add significant value to the company.
About the role
- Contributing to a positive culture of teamwork, flexibility, learning and development
- Managing workloads to provide good service in a busy environment
- Driving performance with ability to work closely with leaders(s) and team(s)
- Building strong relationships with brokers/clients and ability to collaborate across all teams
- Optimizing sales/renewal/rate and retention opportunities with Brokers and Sales
- Supporting our strategy and values within the team
- Finding solutions to difficult and challenging situations
- Ability to review our systems and processes, finding better more effective ways to do business, while keeping the customer focus
- Adhering to all service and reporting timelines agreed for our business
About youYou must be;
- Focused, diligent & be committed to work and studying for a level 8 education programme at the same time
- Able to communicate effectively (in both written and verbal form)
- Willing to be part of a team
- Committing to the customer
- Take ownership & accountability for own actions and responsibilities
- Have attention to detail and time management
- Have the ability to manage own work load
- Strong relationship building skills
- Aptitude to make real time decisions based on changing information
- Good negotiation skills
- Problem solving abilities
Minimum Entry Level Requirements
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Mature students – if over 23 years there are no minimum educational requirements - documented interview required
- FETAC Level 5 qualification holders*
- Between 18 and under 23 years – Leaving certificate, minimum of 140 points to include two honours in higher level paper and passes in Maths and English/Irish with specific requirements on grades/levels*
- *More information can be viewed on the III website https://www.earnandlearn.ie
Interested applicants should ask themselves the following key questions before applying
- Do I meet the minimum entry level requirements?
- Can I commit to a three year contract of apprenticeship?
- Do I have the self-motivation and time management skills to study at a BA (Hons) level and work at the same time?
- Can I be diligent and committed to all aspects of work, training and education?
- Do I have the ability to communicate effectively both with customers and in a team?
- Can I take ownership and accountability for my own actions and responsibilities?
What we offer
- A challenging and rewarding role in a global business;
- Opportunities for personal and professional career development including short term overseas assignments;
- Flexible working arrangements and work/life balance;
- Great working environment, supportive and committed to promoting Diversity and Inclusion in the workplace;
- Competitive salary and benefits, and opportunities for educational support;
- Wellbeing initiatives and onsite events (such as weekly Yoga, free fruit, various speaker events etc).
Application process and time frames
- Application submission: Apply here